What to Expect in the Contemplative Path Program
(1) We use a variety contemplative practices best suited for you to facilitate personal discovery, healing, resilience, and active hope.
(2) We create a network of mutual support among other young people with a common vision engaging in these practices.
(3) We help you to investigate and align with local community projects based on your interests, passions, and strengths.
Each week, we provide online videos and activities. Also, we read and discuss the book Active Hope by Joanna Macy and Chris Johnstone, as well as other articles and podcasts. We meet with you weekly one-on-one and with the whole group every-other week.
Week 1: Self-reflection: Who Am I? How Do I Spend My Time? Which Contemplative Practice(s) is/are Right for Me? (Active Hope Introduction)
Week 2: Becoming a Part of the Great Turning and Cultivating Active Hope (Active Hope Chapters 1-2)
· All Team Meet-Up #1: Connecting to Ourselves and to Others; Council Circle
Week 3: Expressing Gratitude (Chapter 3)
Week 4: Liberation Through Honoring Our Pain and Anger (Chapter 4)
· All Team Meet-Up #2: Gratitude and “Taking Refuge” Guided Practices; Dialogue in Small Groups
Week 5: Finding Our Personal Power (Chapters 5-6)
Week 6: Developing a Wider Sense of Self in Community (Chapters 7-8)
· All Team Meet-Up #3: Gaining a Larger Sense of Time Guided Meditation; “What Empowers Me?” Dialogue in Small Groups
Week 7: Envisioning a More Just and Sustainable World (Chapters 9-10)
Week 8: Going Forth with a Vision: Building Resiliency and Support (Chapters 11-13)
· All Team Meet-Up #4: Maintaining Community and Mutual Support; Identifying our Individual and Collective Visions; Council Circle
Dedication to 20 minutes or more of contemplative practice
This is an opportunity to break out of your every-day structure, and dedicate 20 minutes or more to a contemplative practice of your choice.
Walk. Breath-work. Yoga. Dance. Volunteer. Create. Open dialogue. Listen.
Let this practice introduce new questions, interests, and identify aspects that were once unseen.
One-on-One, hour-long sessions with our founder, Laura Hill
Online videos and contemplative practices
Follow-up reflective writing journal activities
We will meet one-on-one every week, and exchange feedback through weekly writings.
Every person is different - we will reflect on your experience, discuss themes that have come up, & provide individualized guidance for your next steps.
All Team Meet-Ups
with guest speakers
Our Bi-Weekly ‘All Team’ Meet-Ups provide a community growth opportunity.
It is our hope, here you will find an established place of support in each other,
to learn from and lean on.
We will invite occasional guest speakers to share contemplative practices and community resources.
Before enrolling in our programs, let's make sure we are a good match! We are interested in talking with you first to see if our Gap Year Programs will meet your needs, and if you are a good fit for our programs. Please set up a 30-minute meeting with Laura Hill here!